Updated instructions for installing Streamer on Macs
In contrast to earlier years, it’s turning out to be difficult or impossible to reliably create sharable executable binaries of Streamer for Macintosh, which means that to use it on your own Mac (if that’s what you have), you will likely need to compile the source code. That in turn requires you to have a Fortran compiler (e.g., gfortran), which in turn requires you to have Apple’s Xcode developer environment.
If you choose to pursue this path (which I personally think is worth the minor trouble), then do ONE of the following:
- Follow the steps below, or
- Follow the alternative instructions provided by Feng Zhu.
1) Open the App Store on your Mac (you can find it under “Applications”). Use the search field to find ‘Xcode’. Of the results that show up, you want to install ‘Xcode developer tools’. You will need to sign in with an Apple ID (easy to obtain if you don’t already have one). The download/install process takes a little while — maybe 5-10 minutes.
2) Start up Xcode by clicking on the icon in “Applications. You will need your administrator password to complete the installation when you start Xcode the first time.
3) Find the Preferences menu under the Xcode tab. Then select the “Downloads” tab. You want to download/install “Command line tools”. Once again, you will need your administrator password. The download is large and will take a while.
4) Visit the following page
and download the appropriate binary installer for your Mac. You can find out which version of Mac OS X you have by clicking on the apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen and selecting “about this Mac”.
If everything goes well, you should have a working gfortran compiler on your Mac as well as a number of other useful command-line utilities useful for Unix/Linux style programming and scripting.
5) You can then try downloading and installing Streamer from source. Visit the following link ftp://stratus.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/streamer/streamer.tar
and save the file to your Downloads directory.
6) To complete the compilation of Streamer, follow Feng Zhu’s instructions
starting with Step 3.